Khunjerav Pass (Chinese: 红其拉甫口岸; Urdu: درہ خنجراب) (elevation 4,693 metres or 15,397 feet) is a high mountain pass in the Karakoram Mountains in a strategic position on the northern border of Pakistan (Region of Gilgit–Baltistan’s Hunza and Nagar Districts) and on the southwest border of China (the Xinjiang region).
Its name is derived from two words of the local Wakhi language : ‘Khun’ means Blood and ‘Jerav’ means a creek coming from spring water/water falling.
Highest ATM in the world
It has the highest ATM in the world on the Pakistani side from the National Bank of Pakistan and 1LINK.
If you going first time to Khunjerab you must take care of few things that may save your life and your time.
- Khunjerab is (elevation 4,693 metres or 15,397 feet) is a high mountain pass in the Karakoram Mountains.
- Oxygen level is low due to it’s height.
- Weather is always cold even in June and July.
- Don’t Forget to wear jackets or take them with you.
- Ask your kids not to run or play.
- Walk Slowly because if you tried to run you may feel some dizzy.
- Don’t Take peoples with heart problem with you (Very Dangerous) due to low oxygen.
Food & Drinks
Please take water with you in coolers if you don’t wanted to make your throat soar because water you will find from streams near khunjerab is extremely cold.
- If you are taking any kind of food or drink with you please try to avoid throwing trash out of the car.
- Don’t Hang out of the windows of the car.
- You will see many rare animals and creatures when you were on the road, don’t try to kill or harm and animals.
- Don’t try to drive fast because roads may be slippery due to snow.
- Over speeding could be dangerous for you and your family.
if you staying in hunza and planned to visit Khunjerab, you need to get out of your blankets early if you want to enjoy the natural beauty in the surroundings or if you are lucky you can even see rare animals moving on the road sides.
You can stay night or you can book your rooms at SOST. Because you can’t spend a night on Khunjerab or there are no hotels nearby.
Sost or Sust is a village in Gojal, Upper Hunza, Gilgit–Baltistan, Pakistan. It is the last town inside Pakistan on the Karakoram Highway before the Chinese border.